Sunday, February 1, 2009

Caterpillar 2009 "Squirm"

Every year this time of year, we get an abundance amount of caterpillars around our house, and we get to watch them turn to chrysalis then to butterflies. Every year, we try n' catch 1 caterpillar to watch it's beautiful God given transformation. It's fun for the kids, and just a real treat for all of us to watch. I will post a photo daily, or after each transformation.... come back n' check on "Squirm's" progress. So far, here are the photos that have already been taken:


CY4 with Cy holding Squirm, as he 1st was welcomed into our home:Squirm on my hand:
Squirm warming up to me:

Squirm waving 'hello' to the camera:
Squirm checking out the tile in our house:

Squirm balancing on the tip of my fingers:
Squirm, finally in his new home:

Squirm gets comfy on the twig in his new home:

1/31: Day 1 @ 5 pm - Squirm is already in position to start making his transformation into a chrysalis:

Cy watches in awe:

2/1: Day 2 @ 7 AM: Squirm has been hanging in that position for 12 hours now. Still no chrysalis!!:
2/1: Day 2 @ Noon: Wow!!! Look at Squirm now!!! His transformation is amazing!!! When we returned from church this morning, Squirm was already formed like this, but his chrysalis is still a little bumpy here. We could also see him squirming around a little in there:

2/1: Day 2 @ 4 PM: Squirm is now a full chrysalis!!! His outsides are smooth like the outsides of an Advil liquid gel!!! It's color is bright green, and there is no longer any squirming going on. He is now at a state of "wait n' watch"... and that is exactly what we'll be doing from here on forward.
Come back daily to see a daily photo of Squirm's transformation.....

Thanks for stopping by!!!

Aloha,
Jen

6 comments:

AdriansCrazyLife said...

That's amazing! What a great learning experience for your boys. I don't think we get caterpillars around here. I can't remember the last time I saw one. Probably too cold. I'll be waiting anxiously for more pics of Squirm.

Jan Scholl said...

We hardly ever see butterflies in this part of Michigan anymore. So many people stupidly spray horrible chemicals because they are in search of the perfect lawn. It kills everything. I don't use them at all. I want nature to flourish in my yard. Even if we do get some not so welcome nasties. Two summers ago, I had a hummingbird in my yard and I was sitting on my deck photographing my cards for my blog. I got so excited I called my SIL and then just started crying. Isn't nature incredible? My motto is to do no harm as they have justs as much right to be here as I do. Your boys look so concerned about this little creature. I hope they never lose that feeling.

de said...

This is pretty cool! It will be neat to see Squirms transition! I don't think I've ever seen a caterpillar that color and I always thought their cocoons were kinda "fabric"y looking. It looks like a jalapeno pepper!!!

Gina Wrona said...

Awesome! Were you a scientist in your former life? jk...

Hugs & aloha,
Gina

Jodie said...

Totally neat yeah, I have not done that in a while... it's so exciting.

Teri said...

Love these pics of "squirm". Actually, I really like the shots of cyrus in the background, that's gonna make an awesome SB LO...