Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving in Hawaii

Hi There!! How was your Thanksgiving Day with your family and friends?! Ours was awesome. Although both my parents weren't able to attend the festivities (due to being sick with the flu). My inlaws did their own thing... BIL and wife had their own celebrations (with her side of the family), while my MIL went over to her hubby's family side. So "phew".... I remember days when CY3 and I had to "split" the days with both families. My side would always have a lunch fest, and then off to his aunty's house for dinner. My things have changed....

Speaking of change... you know, when I was growing up, Thanksgiving in Hawaii (with my family) was definitely not a "traditional" Thanksgiving feast, like the ones they have on TV in traditional American homes. Back then, there'd be a turkey (of course), my mom made ham, olives, gravy, and lots of Filipino dishes.... such as fried eggplants, pancit, pork adobo, chicken long rice, shoyu chicken, chicken squash soup and RICE. Lots and Lots of RICE. My mom made sure that the rice wouldn't run out. Man talk about a Thanksgiving "FEAST" - but my mom started getting old, and eventually the dishes started getting less throughout the years.

Now, the feasts are held at our house, and CY3 has taken over the "Head Chef" at Thanksgiving. When he first accepted the "crown" he was like "Awwwwwright.... I going show you what a real Thanksgiving feast is supposed to be like".... he said, "I going make turkey, ham, corn on the cob, mash potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, stuffing, candied sweet potatoes...." and his list went on and on... I had this blank look on my face.... thinking to myself, "what?!?! No Shoyu Chicken??! No Pork Adobo?!?! No PANCIT!?!?!?!... what kinda THANKSGIVING is THAT!??!!". Cy3 could tell from the look on my face that I looked kinda "ill" just hearing him name all these foods, he goes, "what? whatsamatter?!", I said, "what about Shoyu Chicken? are you going to make that?"... he goes, "Honey... that's not a traditional Thanksgiving feast!! Shoyu Chicken is for plate lunches.... Thanksgiving is the time for us to eat GRUB.... " and that was the beginning of having "Traditional Thanksgiving Feasts" in our house.

In the beginning, I have got to tell you - it was ALL so new to my family members. LOL!!! Before, my sister goes, "Mash Potatoes?! When did we ever eat mash potatoes?!"... nowadays, she goes, "Yummmm... I love CY3's mash potatoes" and they LOVE his stuffing along with everything else that he slaves over through the entire day to cook!!! I've learned to accept this new type of food to eat during Thanksgiving and I'm so thankful that he has brought a new tradition into our family. It's really filling, and like he said, great GRUB to eat. I'm especially thankful for a wonderful husband that lets me take this 1 day off for me to relax (partial really), and does all the cooking (I still wash the dishes and do some cutting of veggies). The more n' more we get together every year at Thanksgiving - the more I forget about Shoyu Chicken and Adobos that used to be served.

This year, we had the traditional Thanksgiving Feast, for the 1st time this year, we had CY4 write a prayer and he said it to bless the food. It turned out to be such a lovely touching prayer, which I plan on scrapbooking it later. We were able to share the feast and the rest of the day with my brother, my sister and their children. We were soooo stuffed after the meal, it's a good thing I had elastic pants on, because my sister had to unbutton her pants, but was still in pain. We hung out together - playing video games and singing Karaoke after our meal til' about 10 pm.... no can beat good food and good company, ya?!

Here are some pictures taken this past TGDay... enjoy!!!

1 comment:

de said...

WOW, everything sounds so good! And it looks good too! I was home by myself but I had to make a semi traditional meal too... I didn't want to cook everything my mom always does for just me, but I had turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, bread veggies and pecan pie. YUM. Lots of good leftovers too! Looks like you guys had a good time! Where are you in the pics?!